Garlic Chicken Ingredients for Four People
- One whole chicken of 3lb. approx.
- Six plump cloves of garlic
- One bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley
- Two or three sprigs of fresh thyme
- (One teaspoon of dried will do)
- One large whole lemon
- One small glass of dry sherry
- (Or a good dry white wine will do)
- Extra Virgin olive oil.
- Salt and black pepper
Garlic Chicken Method
- Cut the Chicken into ten even bone-in pieces.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and leave for five minutes to rest.
- Brown the chicken in two tablespoons of olive oil, in a large non-stick frypan – medium high heat.
- Turn heat down and cook covered with lid for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile – skin and bash your garlic with the blade of a large kitchen knife, then chop finely.
- Chop a good handfull of parsley and squeeze your lemon.
- Remove the cooked chicken pieces to an earthenware and keep warm in a low oven, retaining the juices in the pan.
- Add the garlic to the pan juices and cook gently for about 10 minutes – being carefull not to burn.
- Now add the sherry and thyme – turn up the heat and let the sauce reduce to about half while you stir.
- Pour off any excess oil, add the lemon juice and about 3/4 of the chopped parsley and reduce slightly again.
Take the chicken from the oven – pour over the sauce – sprinkle the rest of the chopped parsley over the top – and serve.